Monday, September 6, 2010

V for Victory!

I was extremely bored on Saturday and I wasn't in the mood to work on the never ending granny squares, so I pulled out my in progress quilt. The quilt blocks are taken from a book called "Victory Quilts" By: Eleanor Burns (who is an awesome quilter!). I just have to say, I am in love with this book. It is sooooo me!


The quilt is called "Comfort Quilt", but I have yet to give it a name. The picture in the book and the overall layout reminds me of the terrible bombings in London (and many other cities) during World War 2, but mostly London. And (now that I think of it) it reminds me of the air raid drills and the blackouts that many cities did (even in the US), in case of a air raid. I can imagine a family huddled up in the blanket trying to keep warm and be safe, just waiting for an end. ...Sorry, that's my history major coming out of me...


Here are a few pictures from right before I started:


The amazing "Victory Quilts" book! With some fabric that is being used for the sides.
My overflowing sewing box with panels from the quilt
More panels from the quilt
I got really inspired when me aunt dropped off a graduation gift. I opened it up and there laid a set of books entitled "Pictorial History of the Second World War" that used to be owned by my grandpa. I burst out crying and ...yeah. That inspired even more to work on this beautiful quilt.




I'll try to take pictures as I finish up the top quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment